Not everything fun comes in a box you can buy… and for things that do, sometimes rules can be broken.
These articles are about getting more creative and making our own fun.
Ok, this isn’t a life-hack site but this post is kind of a life-hack tip.
But this IS a site about adding fun to you life.
And let me tell you, shouting arcane words in order to stay organized is more fun than not.
My friend Geoffrey shared this tip with me years ago and it has saved me from turning the car around ever since.
There are a few loose items that I need to take with me nearly every time I leave the house:
- Company badge and key card
It’s pretty difficult to forget the keys since I need them to start the car. But the others have all been forgotten a time or two.
Here’s the deal.
Every morning before I leave for work, I say “wahkifoki.”
The American Standard rules of “Slug Bug” commence thusly:
- While on an excursion, look about for a Volkswagen Beetle.
- Once spotted, wildly shout “Slug Bug!!!”
- In the same action, and with a jabbing motion, connect the bony part of your fist with a soft fleshy part (typically the upper arm or thigh) of a companion.
- If you strike a companion, but another player called slug bug first, you are in penalty.
- If you call “slug bug” on a vehicle previously called… you are in penalty.
- If you call “slug bug” on a vehicle deemed NOT to be a VW Beetle, you are in penalty.
The person you “slugged” gets to strike you twice in return.
Playing as a youth, the joy of this game was wrapped up in the exhileration and fear of sudden pain. It was an activity that changed a mundane car ride into an excercise of determined focus and thrill… well, that and the above mentioned “sudden pain”.
No longer a youth and finding myself the father of a 5-year old, the game of slug bug has re-entered my life, but in a modified form that I will share in a moment. Let it be said that while I look back on the game with fond memories, I do not want my daughter’s earliest memories of me to be filled with shouting and pain.
Hence the following rules, created by my 5-year old, which I now call…
Zoe’s Mutable Game of Points…
Memorial Day is this weekend.
I recognize that for many it is a day of memory and mourning.
However, it is also the weekend that kicks summer off in the US with camping trips and barbecues.
Here are 11 tips to make the kick off camping trip memorable…
Tell you what… are you in cubicle land right now?
You want to have the most fun you’ll have today?
- Grab a sheet of paper
- Crumple it into a ball
- Stand up
- Say “Hey” to one of the nearby cubicle dwellers
- Toss the crumpled paper to / at them
- Wait for it to be thrown back to /at you.
If you try this and find it fun, please feel free to send me 99 cents.
You’ve paid as much and more for worse entertainment on your phone or iPad…
One week left… if you’re just now looking for Mother’s Day ideas, I fear for you brother.
But maybe I can help.
Not long ago, the only “Mom” to worry about was my own… but there’s a new Mom on the block, my wife!
I’m a young dad… 4 years… I’m learning, but I still SUCK at Mother’s Day.
If you’re like me, here’s some ideas that might make things smoother for both of us this year…